Saturday, November 22, 2008

Advent Calendars!!!



I decided to make Advent calendars for the Grandparents. Well all except my mom, sorry mom it wouldn't make it to you on time. I wish I could say the idea was my own but it wasn't. I did add my own craftiness to it so it is my design not my idea. I have decided to blog it so that anyone who wants to use the idea can and so I don't forget how I did it.


Supplies needed:

*one 5x7 picture frame ( I got them at the $store, ones with thin frames work best because some of the candy will spill over the glass onto the frame. It can be wide just thin works best)
*25 Hershey's Nuggets (more if you decide to eat a couple :)
*double stick tape
*holiday craft paper
*a paper cutter is very helpful
*ribbon
*thin ribbon or shinny cord
*a 5x7 photo or verse on a 5x7 sheet of paper if you want
*small number stickers
*cricut machine to make paper ornaments, you can also hand cut these out

Directions:
1. place your photo in the frame.
2. cut holiday paper into 25 strips 1inch by 3inches
3. using the double stick tape cover the candy with the papers
4. using the double stick tape again (gotta love the double stick tape!!!) put a strip of tape a little longer than the width of the glass horizontally on the glass. A little needs to hang over on each side because the candies will.
5. take five candies starting in the center line them up on the double stick tape. Make sure they are right against the top of the glass/frame or the last row of candies won't fit.
6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 until you have 5 rows of 5 candies each.
7. use number stickers to put numbers 1-25 on the candies.
8. place ribbon on the frame as shown. Make sure you place the ribbon under the frame stand on the back or you can't stand it up.
9. cut out a tag or paper ornament
10. using the thin ribbon or cord attach the tag onto the ribbing near the bow.



Wallah!!!! You have a great Advent Calendar for anyone. I put a picture of Gavin in mine so one Christmas when they remove the last candy they will have a framed pic of him. I am giving these for Thanksgiving because I want them to have them for the first day of Christmas!!! You could do these for any holiday or occasion and you don't have to number them. Might make a great wedding gift put $ in the frame and cover the candies with wedding paper and when they eat all the candy they are surprised with money. Ok I just thought of that I am so using that idea!!! Anyone getting married soon??






Let me know if anyone decides to make one I would love to see how it turns out!!!!






1 comment:

Kim Ricketts said...

I love this!!! I will have to try it for sure! Thanks for posting!

Kim